1. The club shall be known as “Minehead Cycling Club”.
2. The purposes of the club
In association with its affiliated club, Minehead Merlins GoRide, the purposes of the club are to promote cycling in Minehead and the surrounding area and community.
3. Club Affiliations
The Club shall be affiliated to British Cycling (BC), Cycling Time Trials (CTT) and Cycle Touring Club (CTC). The Committee will decide whether other affiliations are appropriate, unless the AGM declares otherwise.
4. Management of the Club
The general management of the club’s funds, property and affairs shall be by a Committee consisting of the Club Officials plus other additional Committee members – all to be elected annually at the Annual General Meeting. The Committee shall have the power to co-opt ex-officio members if necessary.
The Committee shall have the power to:
- Raise funds by subscriptions, appeals and grant applications
- Open bank accounts
- Make grants to cycling causes
- Provide sporting and related social facilities and sporting equipment
- Provide coaching and courses
- Provide event insurance cover, medical treatment and event expenses including post-event refreshments
- Pay for reasonable hospitality for visiting guests
- Indemnify the committee and members acting properly on behalf of the club against any liability incurred in the proper running of the club
- Affiliate to any bodies regulating or organizing the sport as necessary
5. Club Officials
The Club Officials shall comprise:
- President – who shall be ex-officio
- Race Secretary
- Treasurer/Membership Secretary
- Any other such Officers as the activities of the Club may require
6. Club Financial Year
The Club’s financial year will run from 1st January to 31st December – after which the Treasurer will prepare a balance sheet and other accounts.
Membership of the club shall be open to anyone interested in the sport on application, regardless of sex, age, disability, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or other beliefs. However, limitation of membership according to available facilities is allowable on a non-discriminatory basis.
The club has different classes of membership and subscription on a non-discriminatory and fair basis. Subscriptions will be kept at levels which will not pose a significant obstacle to people participating
- Senior member
- Junior membership (16-18 years)
- Minehead Merlins members (under 16)
Club membership will be automatic and free to members of Minehead Merlins GoRide who pay a subscription to the affiliated club.
The club committee may refuse membership, or remove it, only for good cause such as conduct or character likely to bring the club or sport into disrepute.
Subscriptions shall become due on the date of the AGM each year. Any member not paying the subscription by the 1st April each year (in the case of new members, within 1 month of joining), shall be deemed to have resigned and have forfeited all rights and privileges of membership.
Any member joining after 30th September in any year shall, upon payment of the appropriate subscription, be entitled to all the privileges of membership until the AGM the following year.
9. General Meetings
- All members may attend such meetings in person.
- Such meetings need 14 clear days written notice to members.
- The quorum for such meetings is 20 members present or 20% of the total membership, whichever is the lesser.
- The Chair, or in his/her absence another person chosen at the meeting shall preside. Except as provided in these Rules, every resolution shall be decided by a simple majority of the votes cast on a show of hands. Formalities in connection with General Meetings (eg, how to put down resolutions) shall be decided by the committee and publicized to members.
10. Annual General Meeting (AGM)
The AGM will be held in the month of February and will
- Receive committee reports on the club’s activities sine the last AGM;
- Receive accounts for the latest financial year audited as the committee shall decide;
- Elect officials to serve until the next AGM
- Appoint a suitable person to audit the accounts
- Discuss and vote on any resolution (whether about policy or to change the Rules) and deal with any other business put to the meeting
11. Special General Meetings (SGM)
A Special General Meeting shall be called by the Secretary within 14 days of a request to that effect from the committee or on the written request of at least 7 members signed by them. Such SGM shall be held with not less than 14 days or more than 21 days notice.
12. Committee meetings
- The committee shall normally meet as required;
- Four members shall form a quorum of which at least 2 shall be club officials;
- The Chair, or whoever those present choose, shall chair meetings;
- Decisions shall be by simple majority of those voting;
- Any member of the committee absent from 3 consecutive meetings without reasonable excuse, shall be deemed to have resigned and the committee may fill the vacancy;
- The committee may delegate any of their functions to sub-committees but must specify the scope of its activity and powers
13. Race Committee
The Race Secretary shall co-opt as many members as deemed necessary to form a Race Committee for the administration and organization of any Open events promoted in the name of the Club.
Any member wishing to resign must inform the Secretary in writing.
15. Amendments to the Rules
No alteration or additions to these Rules shall be made except with the consent of at least two-thirds of the members present at the AGM (or Special General Meeting called for the purpose). Notice of intended changes to the Rules must be circulated to the members at least 14 days before the meeting, together with a copy of the proposed changes.
Any matter not provided for in these Rules shall be dealt with by the Committee whose decision shall be binding on all parties.
Rev 21 Feb 2016